I could go vegan if everything tasted this good.
At our Ottawa potluck a few weeks ago my friend brought a huge tub of the most delicious homemade dip I’ve ever had! I’m a little obsessed with avocados at the moment. Avocado smoothies, bacon and avocado sandwiches, guacamole on everything. I even had a fleeting idea of opening a gourmet nacho restaurant the other week just so I could make some money on my guac obsession.
True love aside, here is the recipe for this unreal dip. Thanks Mal!
Vegan Black Bean Guacamole
1 Can of black beans
2 medium Roma tomatoes
2 large, ripe avocados
1/2 cup of salsa (or to taste)
salt+pepper to taste
1. Halve the avocados, remove and discard pit. Scoop out the greens into a large bowl. Mash with a fork, leaving it a little chunky.
2. Cut the lime in half and squeeze in the juice of one half. Leave the other half aside.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Wash and chop tomatoes into one inch cubes. Empty into a blender or food processor.
5. Open your can of black beans and rinse some of the juice off over the sink. Empty the beans into your blender and blend with the tomatoes.
6. Add 1/2 cup of salsa and pulse to combine with the puree.
7. Stir in the black bean puree with your mashed avocados and stir thouroughly until combined.
8. Add more salt, pepper, lime or salsa if you so desire.
9. Enjoy with tostitos, nachos, or quesadillas! Just don’t eat an entire bag in one sitting like I did. Whoops.
After polishing off a jumbo bag of chips, I still had some black bean guacamole leftover so I threw it in some tupperware and decided to have it a little later. After I got home from work later that night, I had a brilliant idea to make a hearty (non-vegan) soup.
1. Empty leftover bowl of black bean guacamole into your blender or food processor.
2. Add either two cups of milk or two cups of chicken broth, but not both! If you don’t have a lot of guacamole left, just use one cup.
3. Puree until smooth.
4. Heat on stove top, stirring to combine.
5. Serve with a dollop of hummus, chopped tomato or a handful of tostitos if you have any left! I didn’t.
Peace. Love. Avocados.